Lab and Sensory Technician
Half Acre Beer Co. is seeking a qualified individual to execute daily production sampling and coordinate the sensory program within the Half Acre Quality Department. The Half Acre Laboratory and Sensory Technician will be responsible for conducting daily micro- and molecular biological sampling, chemical measurements, and other laboratory needs as they arise. This individual will be tasked with interpreting micro, molecular, and chemical results and communicating findings with the Quality Manager. The sensory responsibilities include organizing and maintaining routine sensory checks and assisting with other aspects of the sensory program. This position reports to the Quality Manager.
- Maintains common lab reagents, aliquots, and consumables
- Maintains glassware by washing, sterilizing, and storing
- Prepares culture media and pours microbiological plates
- Aseptically collects and plates samples, and interprets growth results
- Conducts regular yeast cell counts and viability testing
- qPCR testing and interpretation of results
- Conducts routine extract, pH, and temperature readings, interprets and reports results, which may sometimes require navigating the cellar and collecting samples from tanks
- Conducts spectrophotometric-based sample prep and assays, and interprets results
- Measures titratable acidity and turbidity of samples as required
- Releases bright beer tank (BBT) and finished goods from Quality hold as appropriate
- Collects, organizes, stages, and retrieves packaged beer samples for sensory evaluation and library
- Schedules tastings in the DraughtLab sensory app and monitors results and participation for daily packaged beer, end-of-life packaged beer, pre-transfer, and pre-package sensory, etc.
- Conducts raw materials assessments as needed, including hop pellet density measurements, characterizing hop sensory attributes by lot, and performing steeps of raw materials for evaluation.
- Enters data where necessary to interpret and report results
- Assists with drafting and updating Standard Operating Procedures
- Keeps laboratory instruments calibrated and maintained
- First, have a constant commitment to safety and quality
- Be a conscientious person, keeping in mind the needs of others as well as own
- Hold self accountable for maintaining a clean and organized work environment
- Operate efficiently and responsibly as the sole Quality and Sensory Lab Technician
- Be detail-oriented and thorough in all laboratory work and documentation
- Perform aseptic technique regularly and effectively
- Maintain a clean, safe, and well-functioning lab, mindful of GLP requirements
- Organize a large amount of samples and provide clear and timely results
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
- Must be able to maneuver 165 lb. kegs into position
- Must be able to navigate ladder while sampling from tanks